Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Niece's birthday

We celebrated The Niece's seventh birthday over the Deepavali holiday (I know, Deepavali was almost 2 weeks ago).


In the past, I would always make a point to bring her out twice a year -once in the June holidays, the other around her birthday. The tradition had to come to a halt last year after I came down with hyperemesis gravidarum when I was expecting Anya. So, this year, I was determined to bring the tradition back. The last thing I wanted to happen was The Niece to feel left out of my life now that I have a baby of my own.

It was just a simple outing where the birthday girl gets to shop for TWO presents (one from us, one from Grandma). My mom wanted to get her a pair of shoes / a nice outfit while we wanted to buy her a toy.We deemed that turning seven comes with more independence, therefore decided that she should be the one choosing her own presents (given our pre-determined category - apparel/shoes and toys).

Gift 1: she settled for a pair of pink "bling bling" pearly sandals (the likes of what you see below).

Courtesy of gojane.com

I was highly amused that my mom had to restrain herself from telling the birthday girl that she thought white was prettier. She had to keep murmuring to me in a low voice, "I know, let her make her own decisions." Ah.. all was well eventually when the birthday girl tried on the shoes as pink looks really good against her fair complexion.

Gift 2: The Husband and I gave her a budget of $50 for a toy. Now, I was quite surprised to know that there weren't many choices for a seven-year-old in Toys"R"Us. Well, not unless you include video games (budget bursting) and Barbies (she does not like them). We combed through the entire store twice. Eventually, the birthday girl settled for this:


A budding domestic goddess?


As the price tag that came with the sandwich maker was much lower than our stated $50, she decided to pick something for her little brother as well. A sweet and kind girl, she is. :)

After leaving the mall, we met up with the rest of the family for pizza & pasta before retreating back home for a cake cutting. Here, we tried to capture the moment by getting the 3 cousins to pose together. And boy, it was a daunting task! Between The Brother and I, we must have taken close to a hundred shots! Now, here is the best shot that I could find in my camera.

At dinner. My girl, not shy one.

Add captionHappy 7th birthday, C!


With the grandparents

No comments: