Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Byebye Ezcema~

For the first time in weeks, Anya is pretty much cleared of eczema. The skin at the nape of her neck, her hairline, her back is smooth and supple, void of those angry patches of red. Eczema is a common skin problem that plague babies & young children around the world. Just to name a few, you will find mommies who wrote about it as well here, here and here. Most of them grow out of it around the age of one, at least, its what Babycenter says. I'm praying hard that Anya will be one of them.

Our way of managing it was to apply Zaricort (a very mild steroids & anti-inflammatory cream) on the afflicted areas and apply heaps of Sebamed Baby lotion (moisturizer) all over her body day & night. We also do our best to keep her cool, avoid causing her to perspire too much and bathing her morning and before bedtime. This is because we notice that there seems to be a co-relation between the severity of her eczema and the amount of perspiration she had for the day. Other than that, we changed her bath solution (using QV currently) and shampoo.

A special mention about the shampoo. When Anya first came, I actually did not buy any shampoo because I know most newborns have little or no hair. Of course, the probability of her having hair is higher since yours truly came out of her mommy's womb with a thick wavy mop. Very amusing, according to my mom (I suspect it was because I was a stark contrast to my elder brother who came out botak). So, when she did arrive with a mop of hair (though not as thick of mine, according to Popo), I just make do with a sample bottle of Kodomo. Seeing that there was not any adverse reaction, I went ahead and buy a large bottle.

I was wrong. At around 2 months, she started having cradle cap. Then, after doing some research on SingaporeMotherhood forum, I switched to Dentinox cradle cap shampoo. A couple of weeks later, the cradle cap slowly cleared. One downside of Dentinox (as mentioned also by mothers on the forum) is that the baby's hair becomes dry. Indeed. Not having any better idea, I went back to using my very big bottle of Kodomo. Then, eczema came along.

Now, I'm not saying Kodomo causes eczema. Rather, i suspect it is not helping to curb it. Anyway, the other day, I was at the organics shop inside Carrefour Suntec that sells her rice cereal MUCH cheaper and I picked up a bottle of Baby Boo's shampoo as well. It seems to work. I must admit, I didn't use to think much about organic products. Food - yes, products - not much opinion. I conceit. Heh.

So yeah, now I can safely bid farewell to this unwelcome guest, and keep my fingers crossed that it is gone for good!

1 comment:

Rodriguez said...



Thanks for sharing as it is an excellent post would love to read your future post

Baby Shampoo for Cradle Cap