Tuesday, August 24, 2010

All in the name of homecooked food

I always enjoyed cooking. To me, pottering around the kitchen is therapeutic and serving up loved ones' favorite (& hopefully delicious) dishes at the table is part of my love language.

Unfortunately, when i afflicted with hyperemesis gravidarum when I was expecting Anya. Cooking became an impossible task since smells of food is one of the triggers for my vomiting. Instead, we would pop over to the in-laws' place for meals, eat out or The Husband would 'da-bao' back.

After delivering Anya, taking on the new role of being a mother and its responsibilities naturally became the top priority while cooking remain to be in the backseat. Even after getting the hang of the routine of feed-wake-sleep cycle, i realized that making dinner was not going to happen any time soon as there really isn't much time left when life has been divided into 3-hour cycles with ironing, laundry & cleaning to be slotted in between her sleep times. But it has to happen soon! - because I plan to teach Anya the values of eating together & table manners once she starts solids when she turns six months. And I need to be able to have food on the table that we adults can eat in order to do that right?

Therefore, in the past 1-2 months, efficiency became my new focus. Like an athlete who is obsessed with finetuning the speed of his 100m sprint, i devoted my mind & my body at completing the task at hand quickly (without compromising much on the quality lah :P). Ironing each piece of shirt is akin to running a race in which i strive to better my timing. Likewise for other chores. These days, I take 5 minutes to iron each of The Husband's shirt (it was 15 minutes in the past!) , and with the help of a new appliance - a mere 15 minutes to vacuum the floor!

So last night, we had the luxury of having home-cooked dinner for the first time in months! Nothing fanciful, but definitely a milestone for not baby, but mommy me! :)

For the adults

For the furkid

No comments: