Thursday, April 26, 2012

Thankful Thursdays: Seeing through the eyes of the Helper


Recently, something happened to the Helper. Something to do with her children. Something to do with deception among family members. Something that caused her to weep through one whole night till dawn, and then broke down again in fresh bouts of tears time and again as she went about her chores the next day.

The Helper is a timid, emotional and gullible woman with a kind heart. In a bid to provide for her children with a better life and the promise of a better future, she plucked up her courage and hardened her heart to leave them to come and work for us. Her way of coping with homesickness was to not bring any photographs of her  children, and not calling home as much as she would like to, just so she could keep her emotions in check. 
Aunty M, her little boy and little girl - according to Anya

In some ways, I relate to her. After all, we are of the same age, and we both have young children. I, too, is one emotional woman who tends to feel too much and cry too easily. 

Upon hearing of her current plight, I find myself looking at my own life through her eyes. And a hundred and one things that I ought to be thankful for came into my mind. 



I am thankful that I get to be with my children every single day since they were born. I am thankful that my family is complete. I am thankful for the food placed on our table at every mealtime - that we get to have a balanced nourishment from all the different food groups. I am thankful for the clothes that we don, and the footwear that protect our feet. I am thankful that we are sufficient in our finances; so much so that we get to have choices - choosing to stay at home, choosing what to fill our stomach, what to wear etc. I am thankful that we are born into a nation so safe that most of us are shielded from poverty, from crimes, from corruption, drugs and many other vices. 


The Helper is a good person. As an employee, she has a great working attitude, is diligent, and has good initiative in anticipating our needs. So far, she has been a great help and we are thankful for her transparency with us about her life, what she does during her off-days and generally, what is on her mind. We pray that a solution to her current problems will be in place. That her children would never second guess her intentions for going away. That she would, one day, go home to her children with enough savings to live her dream of a better future.

What are you thankful for today?



No comments: