Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hello Mr. Zzz, welcome back!

Despite saying in my last post that I would let the matter of her sleep woes slide, I still cannot help but observe for the cause of her lack of nap. Motherly instincts, I suppose, although it was with a cooler & calmer approach this time.

So, I believe I had some findings. In the day time, we always use a breathable hankie to block out the light from her face. She got used to it and always need to have something against her face (hankie or blanket), like for comfort smell. Now, here's the problem. When she is dozing off or stirring, her fingers will constantly travel to her face, adjusting the hankie, pulling it nearer or farther away from her nose etc. If not, she will be scratching her head or neck, sometimes pulling her hair in frustration. Inevitably, she wakes herself up from her sleepy state & may not go back to sleep after that.

With my newest observations, I spent the whole of Friday & Saturday (The Husband helped too) standing by her cot & holding onto her little hands whenever she went down for her nap. After she fell asleep, I would release her hands but linger nearby because every 15 minutes or so, she would stir again. When she did, I would hold her hands again. All in hope that she would not wake herself up. It was actually quite tiring, having to bent over the cot all that time. So much so that The Husband improvised by setting a stool beside the cot. The result? The longest nap she took stretched to 1.5hours although in the past, she could go down for 2 hours easily at one go. Well, it seemed to work.

 Or so I thought.

On Sunday after church service, we decided to hop over to Marina Square (big spacious isle & lesser crowds!) for lunch and a spot of shopping. While walking along the kids-related shops on the 3rd floor, The Husband & I kept exclaiming how chilly the place was. After all the nonsense that I had to put up with for the past week, it was a welcoming change - chatting and strolling with The Husband in a leisure pace (although A/C is insanely cold and we were really running errands actually).

Then, the most ironic thing happened. There, in The Husband's arm,  propped in an upright posture, was our little girl dozing off. It was quite an endearing sight actually, with her head nodding off. The Husband adjusted her allowing her to lean against his chest while resting her head on his shoulder. And she happily (almost greedily, I would say!) snuggle against her, her arms flinging around his neck, fast asleep.Funny how we had to try so hard to get her to take her naps at home, and here she was, dozing off despite being in an upright position as if it was the most natural way to fall asleep! Just then, it occurred to me. Could it be the works of the A/C?

So, yesterday, I moved her playpen from the living room into the study where an air-conditioner is installed (there's no A/C in her bedroom). After her bath, I put her into the playpen, switched on the A/C, gave her her dummy, brought in her blanket and then I went back to the bathroom to clear away her bath stuff. A couple of minutes later, I came back to check on her. Lo & behold! She went out like a light! For the next 1.5 hours. And during her second nap, she went down for almost 3 hours. Woots! I was pleased as punch. Still am, because she is keeping up with the good record so far. :) Thank God for air-conditioners!


No comments: